Mobile Coupons Stats for Brands and Retailers
Coupons have been around for a long time. The first one was released by the Coca Cola company in 1887 — back in the days when heroin was still being marketed as an over-the-counter cough-suppressant. And, just as medicine has evolved by leaps and bounds in the past 130 years, so too have coupons. Modern marketers now have the power to make coupons that are interactive, personalized, and easy to track.
Here are 8 quick stats about how mobile coupons are performing in today’s market, and how consumers are engaging with them:
1. Conversion rates vary wildly, depending on the context of the offer (FunMobility Client Data):
- Gamified Coupons, where the offer is awarded as a “prize” for engaging with an interactive experience like spinning a prize wheel, average a 30% conversion rate.
- Personalized Coupons, where different offers are served based on relevancy to the individual’s on-site behavior or quiz responses, average a 45% conversion rate.
- Standard Mobile Coupons, with a low-friction redemption process, see an average conversion rate of 10%.
2. 77% of consumers spend $10-$50 more than anticipated when redeeming mobile coupons, with 17% spending over $50 more (Juniper Research)
3. Average print coupon redemption is <1%, in comparison. 300 billion print coupons are published annually, with just 2.84 billion redeemed. (Inmar)
4. Grocery brands: 3x more coupons are discovered via mobile web content vs. email and mobile apps combined. (Nielsen)
5. 57% of the all adult Americans with internet access redeemed digital coupons in 2015 (eMarketer)
6. Digital coupons are the #1 factor that sways purchasing decisions (Nielsen)
7. They’re a big deal for moms. 75% of mothers cite mobile coupons as the best and most engaging type of digital ads (BabyCenter.com)
8. Moms cite the 3 most important features in modern mobile coupons as:
- Store locators
- Interactive features providing more information
- How-to videos
This post is an excerpt from our free eBook: The Agile Marketer’s Guide to Mobile Coupons. Check it out if you want to learn about the specific new tools and tactics marketers are using to:
- Dramatically Increase Sales
- Protect Against Coupon Fraud
- Collect Bigger & Better Business Intelligence
Learn how top CPG brands, retailers, and QSR restaurants are winning the mobile coupon arms race, with engaging, interactive, & personalized coupons designed for a modern, mobile audience.
Fill out this form to download the full eBook: